Hemp Seeds

Is it possible that Mother Nature created a better plant than hemp? Is there another plant on earth that can supply the human race with so many useful and amazing products? I don't think so!

I have been hearing about various foods from the hemp plant for a while now, but I have yet to try any of them. My Costco Connection magazine came in the mail and in it I found an article on the five foods to add to your diet this year. Guess what? One of them is hemp seeds.

Why try hemp seeds? Omega-3 fatty acids are one reason. These essential fatty acids have been shown to reduce your risk of a heart attack, help brain function, and fight inflammation in all areas of the body. According to this article, you can throw hemp seeds in a smoothie, stir them into your yogurt, and toss them in a salad.

The following information was taken from the website titled Pure Healing Foods:

Hemp Seeds greatly exceed most energy bars for energy and provides this energy in a better form - not sugar and saturated fats.
Four tablespoons Hemp Seeds(42 g), enough for a meal on cereal, fruit, yogurt or salad, contains:
240 cal energy
15 g essential fats(11.4 g Omega 6 and 3.6 g Omega 3)
2.7 g mono-unsaturated fat
2.1 g saturated fat


Hemp Seeds greatly exceed most energy bars for protein and provides a complete spectrum of vital, natural proteins. 4 Tablespoons contain:
15 g protein
2.5 g fiber
4.5 g carbohydrates
no cholesterol

In addition, hemp seeds contain a full spectrum of all the essential amino acids, making hemp seeds one of the most nutritious plant foods available!

I am hoping to enjoy the taste, as well as the nutritional benefits, of hemp seeds. I figure I can easily sprinkle them onto my Greek yogurt at breakfast. If anyone is already making hemp seeds a part of their regular diet, I'd love to hear your feedback about how they taste and ways to use them. Any suggestions would be welcomed!

Comments