Hoppin' John Soup

I am trying this new recipe for the first time today! Black-eyed peas are traditionally eaten on New Year's in the South. People believe they are good luck, though I'm not sure why. Since it is already New Year's Day, I didn't want to wait another moment before I shared the recipe with you. Sorry I can't report on how delicious it tastes, but the combination of ingredients looks so healthy and yet yummy, that I have trouble imagining that it will not be great. Maybe we can give it a try together?

I found this recipe in The Neely's Celebration Cookbook by Patrick and Gina Neely. This is their second joint effort in print. Again, the recipes and photos look fantastic.

Ingredients:

1 small bunch collard greens (I will use a package of frozen kale.)
2 TB olive oil
6 oz. chopped smoked ham (I have to substitute bacon.)
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1 15 oz. can black-eyed peas
1 15 0z. can tomatoes, diced
1 cup cooked long grain rice (I will skip this.)
Dash of hot sauce
Dash of Worchestershire sauce
Parmesan cheese, grated, for garnish

Slice collard greens into thin ribbons. Heat olive oil in a large, heavy soup pot. Toss in ham, veggies, and spices. Stir until soft and wilted. Pour in chicken broth, beans, tomatoes, and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer and cook 30 minutes. Stir in rice and add seasonings to taste. Spoon into bowls and sprinkle with parmesan. Serves 4-6.

Comments

  1. This local/hoco blogger might be a good connection for you - http://authenticsimplicity.net/2013/01/healthy-2day-wednesday-6/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made it by the recipe. Didn't care for it but my friend born and bred in Texas loved it. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your helpful questions and comments here! Thanks for being part of this balanced community!