Lentil Loaf Variation

The other day, I mentioned that I thought the Veggie Loaf recipe I recently posted tasted a lot like stuffing. Well, you might disagree, but I usually make stuffing with sprouted grain bread, lots of veggies and nuts, and fresh sage. Also I like my stuffing BONE DRY (like Woody on Cheers--do you remember that episode??) and I overcooked my first veggie loaf which made it pretty darn dry.

Since I tend to be one of those lemonade-makers when handed lemons, I went out and purchased some turkey breast and whipped up some sugar-free cranberry sauce. I had instant Thanksgiving dinner. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of telling my husband my idea. Of course, he promptly stole it and the veggie loaf was gone before you could say "jack rabbit."

So I am making another one, and reinventing the loaf to make it taste even more like stuffing!!! (Please don't tell my husband or I won't get any of this one, either.) If you are looking for a healthy vegetarian entree, this works even without the turkey. Although the cranberry sauce would be an awesome accompaniment either way. (For the cranberry sauce recipe, please see blogpost titled Veggie Loaf.)

Ingredients:

1 cup chopped onion
2 TB butter
1 cup finely chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrot
1 cup chopped mushrooms (optional)
1 cup chopped roasted chestnuts (optional)
1 TB minced garlic
2 cups cooked lentils (I cook mine in chicken broth.)
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup chopped apple
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
3 large eggs
3 TB nutritional yeast
1 TB Bragg's Aminos (or tamari)
1 TB Worcestershire sauce
1 Teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a large skillet, stir veggies in butter over medium heat until softened. Add garlic and stir for 1 minute. Turn off heat and allow to cool.

Mix all the rest of the ingredients until thoroughly combined. Remove one cup of mixture and add to food processor. Blend well into a "glue." Add the glue back into the mixture.

Grease a loaf pan well. Fill with mixture and smooth top. Bake loaf for about 50 minutes or until golden brown and set. Allow loaf to cool at least 10 minutes before slicing. Store in fridge for up to one week. If you can keep your husband away from it.

NOTE: I reduced the amounts of some of the main ingredients in this version so as to make only one loaf instead of two. You will need a large loaf pan, or you can bake this in a skillet.

Comments