Ravens Red Cabbage

As promised, I am continuing to post recipes for the Superbowl, specifically showcasing PURPLE foods this week. I am encouraging readers to share menu and recipe ideas containing purple foods to celebrate the Ravens. Even if you are not a football fan, not from Maryland, and not planning to watch the Superbowl, you can still get on board with this!

As I have mentioned many times, eating a rainbow of colorful foods is the best way to ensure you are getting all the nutrients your body requires. The darker the colors, the more antioxidants those foods contain. So catch some purple fever this week and try out some new recipes!

I found the inspiration for today's recipe in The Vegetable Dishes I Can't Live Without by Mollie Katzen, one of my (if not my absolute) favorite cookbook authors ever. I'm sure you know she wrote The Moosewood Cookbook, Enchanted Broccoli Forest, and many others. If you are a vegetarian and you do not own at least one of her books, you must go straight to Amazon.com right now and order one. At least one. Go ahead. I'll wait.

Okay, if you are ready now, I'll share our purple recipe of the day, containing not just ONE but TWO purple ingredients!

Ingredients:

2 TB butter or olive oil
1 and 1/2 cups minced sweet onion
8 cups red cabbage (cut into 1 inch squares)
2 TB red wine vinegar
2 TB balsamic vinegar
1/2 teas. salt (or to taste)
2/3 cup dried cranberries
1-2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Place a large, deep skillet over medium heat. After a minute, add the oil and swirl around. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Add the cabbage and stir to coat with oil. Reduce the heat to low, then add vinegars and salt. Cover the pan and cook about 10-15 minutes or until wilted. Add cranberries and cook another 20-30 minutes. Stir in blueberries and taste to adjust seasonings, adding pepper and more salt if needed. Once blueberries are hot, serve! 

hocofoods@@@

Comments