Superbowl Menu Ideas

It is quite possible that not all my readers are football fans. And perhaps not Ravens fans, in particular. Anybody who knows me well might even be surprised that I would watch the Superbowl. But lately I have gotten caught up in Ravens fever. I have watched bits and pieces of the games this fall (okay, I am not what you might call a diehard fan!) and I have religiously worn as much purple as possible every Friday. I know the names of several players now (very impressive, right?) and I am planning a Superbowl banquet to rival all previous Superbowl festivities!

When I knew for sure that the Ravens (the home team for those of us here in Maryland) were definitely going to the Superbowl, I decided I needed to come up with some delicious purple foods for my banquet. But the number of naturally purple foods is fairly limited.

I read recently on the HowChow blog about a local restaurant called the Town Grill in Lisbon which makes Blackberry Chipotle Chicken Wings every Friday, in honor of the Ravens. This is where I got my inspiration for creating purple dishes. If the Town Grill can do, so can I!

Purple cabbage is certainly an option. I could make some kind of cole slaw or possibly a cooked cabbage dish. Any ideas for something festive containing purple cabbage would be appreciated!

I also considered beets. Not quite purple, though, I think they are more of a magenta...But I might use beet chips along with my Dirty Martini Dip. (I found the recipe on Facebook posted by a group called Moms That Need Wine. Will share this coming week!) Purple potato chips would be another awesome choice.

But if you want to talk about a food that is truly purple, especially when cooked, you have to mention blueberries. And I'm very sorry if you are disappointed in me, but I plan to break my sugar ban in order to chow down on some blueberry cheesecake brownies. Yup, chocolate and blueberries and cheesecake all together in one (hopefully amazing!) treat. I'm going to do a bit of research and come up with a recipe to share with you later in the week.

In the meantime, I am very interested in what everyone else is planning. Do you have regular Superbowl dishes that you make every year? Do you have Ravens-specific dishes planned? Do you have to drink beer during the game, or is wine okay? I'm figuring red wine is practically purple, right?

hocofoods@@@

Comments