Thanksgiving Bowl

Here is another super quick and easy recipe which you can throw together in under 5 minutes, as long as you have a few items already prepared and waiting in your fridge. My favorite kind of lunch is anything that involves absolutely no work. I strongly feel that cooking from scratch should only happen once per day. At the most. I did warn you that I am a lazy S.O.B.

After baking the vegetarian lentil loaf recipe I posted recently, I discovered it tasted almost exactly like stuffing to me. I guess this is due to the fresh sage. I was thus inspired to create this bowl. This is an instant, miniature Thanksgiving dinner! What more could you ask for?

Ingredients:

1 slice lentil loaf (see earlier blog post for recipe)
1/2 of a roasted sweet potato (about 1/3 cup)
1/4 cup frozen sweet corn (optional)
2 slices (thick) deli turkey breast (about 3 oz.)
1 TB cheddar cheese, shredded
1 TB homemade cranberry sauce (just cranberries and orange juice boiled until thick)

In a microwavable bowl, crumble the lentil loaf. Add the sweet potato, mashing slightly. Sprinkle on the corn, if using. Layer the turkey over the top. Sprinkle with cheese. Warm in microwave for about 3 minutes or until heated through and bubbly. Top with cranberry sauce. Enjoy!

This meal is Zone Diet compliant and contains all the protein, carbs, and fat for one smallish-sized woman or one larger woman attempting to lose weight. (3 blocks of everything.)

NOTE: I made the cranberry sauce from scratch because it is so easy to do. I used a half bag of frozen cranberries (about 6 oz) and the juice of one large navel orange. You could zest the orange and add that for more orange flavor, but you know how I feel about extra work. In the middle of the day. This makes a very tart sauce with NO added sugar! (I like it this way, but you may want to use a touch of sweetener...)

Comments