Veggie Loaf

I finally made this recipe after having it on my list for weeks. As you may already know, I make a lot of meat loaves. I am not a vegan. Not even close. (And neither is this recipe, as it contains eggs.) But when I saw the list of ingredients in this loaf, I thought it sounded yummy enough for anyone!

If you are looking for more healthy recipes, I would definitely recommend The Homesteader's Kitchen: Recipes from Farm to Table by Robin Burnside, a chef who has presided over the kitchens of Esalan. Awesome full-color photographs compliment most of the recipes. I guarantee you will find something you want to try. Maybe this one?

Ingredients:

1 and 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
2 TB olive oil
1 cup finely chopped celery
1 and 1/2 cups grated carrot
 3/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
1 TB minced garlic
 2 cups cooked lentils
1 and 1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped pecans or almonds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1 teas. finely chopped sage
2 teas. finely chopped thyme
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
3 eggs
3 TB sun-dried tomatoes or tomato paste
3 TB nutritional yeast
1 TB Bragg's Aminos (or tamari)
1 TB Worcestershire sauce
1 teas. sea salt
1/2 teas. black pepper
1 and 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350F.

In large skillet, saute onion in oil until translucent. Add celery and cooked another 2 minutes.

Combine nuts and seeds in food processor and pulse until finely chopped.

Mix eggs with all the ingredients following them on list above. Blend well. Then mix all ingredients together. Remove one cup of mixture and place in food processor. Blend well to form a "glue." Mix the "glue" back in with everything. Generously grease 2 loaf pans or baking dishes. Press or shape mixture into loaves. Bake 50 minutes or until firmly set and golden brown. Cool at least 10 minutes before slicing. Makes 2 regular-sized loaves.

NOTE: Mixture can also be formed into veggie "burgers" and fried in a little oil in a skillet. I baked my loaf in a skillet, but it became a little too dried out in the oven. I would recommend a traditional loaf pan.

Comments