Wegman's

Finally! I took a trip to the new(ish) Wegman's in Columbia last week. I'm sure everyone else in Howard County has already been there, probably numerous times, but I hate crowded parking lots and crowded aisles, so I waited. And waited.

And I can't say that the trip was an unprecedented joyfest. I have been to Wegman's in Hunt Valley, so there were no real surprises for me here. If you have never visited one of these massive mega-markets, it is easy to become overwhelmed by the immensity. Just the yogurt section alone contained so many varieties, it made my head swim.

I had to avoid a bunch of aisles because I am not eating any sugar this month. So the candy aisles, the cookie aisles, the bakery aisles were all off limits. Yet, I still managed to fill my really cool cart. I used the kind that goes up the special cart escalator to the upper-level parking deck. Super gnarly, dude!

If you are trying to eat healthy, whole foods, Wegman's is a great place to shop. The produce section is truly awesome. You can find just about any type of edible plant food grown on earth. The organic produce all looks very fresh, and the prices are not exorbitant. I purchased organic cauliflower, green onions, red cabbage, and a couple of unusual apples called Pinata. We ate those in the car on the way home and I swear, they tasted just like cinnamon. My daughter thought I was crazy, so possibly I imagined this?!? Delicious, crunchy, and sweet, nonetheless.

The natural foods section is very complete. I found Bragg's Aminos which was on my list. This is a soy-based product that gives a flavorful boost to soups, stews, salad dressings, meat or veggie loaves, you name it. The natural tea selection is also vast. Being great tea lovers, we purchased at least three varieties. Again, the prices were decent. I found several herbal teas on sale for $1.99.

Basic groceries at Wegman's are not overpriced. If you want to do your regular shopping, as well as purchase specialty items, you can find everything under one roof. And if you are looking to splurge on some fancy, gourmet treats, you have definitely come to the right place. Kosher products are abundant at Wegman's. There are kosher bakery, deli, refrigerated, and dry foods sections.The seafood selection is decent and the prices are, as to be expected, not cheap!

I was really hoping to discover some unique protein possibilities in the meat section. I had beef tongue on my list, but alas, this needs to be special ordered. I figured Wegman's might be the one spot I could find this on the shelf. If you haven't ever tasted tongue, it is a delicacy. It was a staple of my childhood and I may just have to put in an order.

Budget at least an hour, or more if possible, in order to thoroughly scope out Wegman's. Eat a meal from their international hot food bars while you're at it! Without a doubt, you will find some delicious and unusual specialties there. Let me know what you discover!

hocofoods@@@

Comments