Winter Sunshine Soup

I woke up this morning with a stuffy nose and a driveway full of snow. So I decided this would be a good day to stay inside and make some soup. I began with a leftover chicken carcass that still had a lot of meat left on it. And then I gathered some unlikely ingredients that also needed to get used up.

I consulted a cookbook: The Homesteader's Kitchen by Robin Burnside. I'll say it again. I love this cookbook! Beautiful photographs and healthy, exciting recipes. When I read a book like this, I can't help but get inspired to eat better foods in more creative ways.

The soup I am making today was inspired by a recipe called Sunshine Yam Soup. However, I am departing so severely from the original, I really did need to rename it and claim it as my own.

Ingredients:

One medium-sized leftover roasted chicken
One knob of ginger root, about 1 inch long

1 cup roasted pumpkin or canned puree
1 cup roasted butternut squash (or sweet potato puree)
1 cup chopped carrots
1 parsnip, sliced
1 stalk celery, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1 bag of chopped fresh or frozen kale or spinach
2-3 sliced green onions
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 can (14 0z) coconut milk (optional)

Boil the chicken carcass and knob of ginger in about 1-2 quarts water (depending on your pot size) for at least one hour. Longer if possible. Remove chicken carcass and ginger from stock. Allow to cool. Shred chicken meat and set aside.

Boil fresh veggies and garlic in the stock until tender. Then add the rest of the ingredients. Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper. Enjoy!

NOTE: I decided to make the coconut milk optional. It is a good source of healthy fats and without it, this soup is very low fat. If you choose not to add it, you might want to drizzle a little olive oil, butter, or cream into your soup. Or eat a few nuts on the side.

Comments