Dreamy Tahini Dressing

Although this blog is called Balance Salad, and I had a friend once tell me she wasn't reading it because she didn't really want any salad recipes (!!) I actually do not post a whole lot of salad-related material. I call it Balance Salad because I like the idea of creating balance in one's life and this blog is a bunch of inter-related posts on that theme, all tossed together, salad-like.

But today's recipe IS salad-related! In fact, this is an awesome salad dressing which I made just last night. Mr. Balancing Act has recently recommitted himself to the Zone diet and therefore purchased an ENORMOUS tub of organic spring mix at Costco yesterday. That stuff begins to rot very quickly if not used, so I jumped right on it and whipped up a batch of fresh salad dressing. Bottled dressing, no matter how high quality, just cannot compare with fresh, homemade dressing. It is always worth the time.

I found this recipe in The Homesteader's Kitchen by Robin Burnside. (Of course, I did make a couple of very minor changes.) I have shared some other recipes from this fantastic cookbook. If you are an aging ex-hippy or a current hippy or just a health freak, if you tend to wear Birkenstocks during most if not all seasons, you will definitely love this dressing! (And this cookbook, for sure.) If you are a fastfood addict, I'm not quite sure how you will feel about it.

Ingredients:

1 teas. minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped green onions (or red onion)
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (I found Meyer lemons at Trader Joe's!)
1 TB white miso (I used red miso which is just fine.)
2 TB tamari (I used Bragg's Aminos.)
1 teas. honey (or maple syrup or agave nectar or another natural sweetener)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/3 cup raw tahini
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup extra virgin estate olive oil (I get mine at Trader Joe's.)
Pinch of cayenne

Place all ingredients in blender and blend thoroughly until smooth. Add more water or olive oil to thin if necessary. Will thicken in the fridge. Add more water if needed. Will keep for several days in the fridge.


Comments