Give Yourself a Break!

Do you ever get so wrapped up in the way you have been doing things, that it seems impossible to do anything different? I have talked about habits before. And they are powerful! We can get into a groove, which might be a healthy habit or a detrimental habit, and extricating ourselves can take a huge amount of energy.

My teaching schedule is one example. I currently teach classes on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. It feels like this has always been true, but recently I remembered a time when I only taught classes once or twice a week! And I used to TAKE classes back then! With other instructors! What a concept!

For about the past five years, I have been teaching so much that I have had no time and certainly no energy for taking classes. And I think this is a mistake.

Teaching is my passion. It has always been my passion, ever since I was a kid. I loved to play "school" as a child and I was ALWAYS the teacher. (If you know how bossy and controlling I am, this will come as no surprise!) But even a person who LOVES to teach, occasionally needs to relinquish that control and be a student. Without that opportunity, the teacher might not continue to grow and develop new ideas and skills. New ways of looking at things. That teacher could get stale. And this is only one reason why I am currently looking into TAKING a class myself.

Another reason is that the aches and pains in my body have been multiplying. Maybe this is not surprising for a woman nearing 50. But this is not okay with me. All of my injuries are minor enough that I can keep going, keep teaching, but they are nagging at me on a daily basis. And there are too many of them. So it is time to make a change.

Next week, I am going to TAKE a class. A GENTLE therapeutic yoga class. I am going to give myself this gift. Instead of continuing to pound my body mercilessly, I am going to search for healing. I don't think it was a coincidence that the class I found happens to occur at the time I would normally be teaching bootcamp. And I don't think it is a mistake for me to put my bootcamp business on hold while I explore something kinder and gentler for my body.

I will keep you all informed!

Comments