Organic Chocolate Stout

In the middle of the Superbowl, Mr. Balancing Act handed me a glass filled with bubbly brown liquid.

"What's this?" I asked. I had been drinking red wine (my favorite Malbec, to be exact) because I figured it was close enough to purple. For the Ravens, you know. This was at half-time, and all my purple foods and drinks seemed to be doing the trick.

"Taste it!" Mr. Balancing Act was not giving me any hints.

I took a sniff. The stuff looked like rootbeer but smelled like cocoa butter.

"Chocolate?" I wondered.

And I took a sip.

Definitely chocolate. Malty, with molasses, vanilla, and a very cocoa buttery finish. Lighter than a Guinness. I sipped this delicious brew for my dessert and was totally satisfied.

I know I normally do not encourage the drinking of any type of alcoholic beverage. This is not because I never indulge in such behavior. But because any alcoholic drink is a source of (plenty of) empty calories. There is nothing wrong with the occasional splurge, but most of us will find that regular drinking will mean weight gain. Most of us just cannot afford to indulge in excess empty calories on a daily basis. Especially, unfortunately, as we reach middle age.

That being said, for a special occasion, like when the Ravens make it to the Superbowl or perhaps on Valentine's Day, the chocolate lover in your life might enjoy a bottle of Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout. Anyone who loves both beer and chocolate, anyone adventurous enough to want to combine those loves, will no doubt adore this brew!

hocofoods@@@

Comments