What is a Snack?

Have you ever noticed how every noun is magically transformed into a verb these days? The first time I heard someone use the word "texting," my mouth hung open for at least a full minute. Of course, I am now completely accustomed to this word and use it all the time myself. "Snacking" is another example.

However, I think there is a real problem with both the word "snacking" and the action. The problem is the idea that snacking should be a verb, an on-going activity. Typically, people snack on fingerfoods that can be popped from a bag or a bucket straight into the mouth. Repeatedly. This eliminates the use of plates and silverware and dining room tables and makes the eater completely unaware of the amount of food that is being transferred from bag to belly. Who knows how many chips or pretzels or chocolate covered goobers they just ate? No one.

The food manufacturers rely on this mindless method of eating that we call "snacking" to make their enormous profits. Snack foods are designed to have addictive combinations of salt and sugar, particular "mouth feel" and crunch created by deep frying, all so that you can't eat just one. Or ten. No, you have to eat hundreds. And it is quite obvious where this mindless snacking has gotten us.

Is there something inherently wrong in eating a snack? Nope. Nothing wrong at all. But a snack should simply consist of the same kinds of foods that make up a healthy meal, just in a smaller portion. An ideal snack should have a small amount of protein, carbs, and healthy fats. A snack should TAKE AWAY your hunger, not stimulate more hunger!

You already know that I have started taking a yoga class recently. Because I have a long drive, then a 90-minute class, then a long drive home, I have been bringing a small snack to eat on the way home. I want to be able to have this snack while I am driving, so that immediately rules out Sloppy Joe's. Also anything involving cutlery.

Instead, I have been bringing a can of V-8 juice and a handful of roasted almonds. The V-8 juice is full of healthy carbs from veggies and the almonds contribute both protein and good fats. This snack is easy to eat while driving, not too messy, and doesn't fill me up too much before lunch.

If you have any great snack ideas for me, I'd love to hear them! Thanks in advance!

Comments