Build Your Brain Power

I am huge crossword puzzle fan, but I wasn't always one. When I was in my 20's, I lived in NYC and attempted the NY Times crossword every Sunday. What a joke! I'd be lucky to get one or two answers total.

But now, as I approach 50 years on this planet, I have discovered that crosswords are not nearly as difficult as they once were. Perhaps I have gained decades worth of knowledge and life experience which translates into better brain power? Perhaps crosswords are written mostly by people my age and that gives me a leg up? Perhaps I have simply made a commitment to completing crosswords and practice makes perfect?

Maybe a little of all of the above.

If you are considering adding crossword puzzles to your daily regimen of healthy activities, I have a few suggestions which might make your experience more successful.

Start with puzzles that are challenging enough to stimulate your mind, but not so impossible that you will give up in frustration. So, probably NOT the NY Times Sunday puzzle at first. Most newspapers and even some magazines carry crosswords. I'm sure you can also find them online. The levels of difficulty vary greatly. I began with the Wall Street Journal's Friday crosswords. In the beginning, I usually had to cheat in order to complete a puzzle. I would work on each one a little bit each day, and when I just couldn't go any further, I'd look up the answers online. (www.wsj.com/puzzles) Eventually I began to understand puzzle logic. It didn't take too long before I was able to complete a whole puzzle without any cheating.

Explore various types of puzzles. There are straight crosswords, acrostics, cryptics, and loads of variations on all of these. I like them all, but get especially excited about the cryptic puzzles as they were so darn hard for me at first. Now they are still a challenge, but also a lot of fun. The Wall Street Journal also runs a Saturday puzzle each week, switching between all of the types mentioned.

Never give up! It is quite miraculous what your brain is able to accomplish with a little perseverance. One vital skill in completing crosswords is the ability to open your mind and conceive of all the possible interpretations of your clue. Words have so many different meanings! If you get stuck only considering one interpretation of the clue, you will not be able to move forward.

The last time I tried a NYTimes Sunday crossword, I was actually able to finish it. With no cheating! It took me more than a week, but I usually only work on one for a few minutes here and there. And speaking of cheating, I consistently use a dictionary (NOT online!) to work my puzzles and do not consider that cheating. However, I refuse to use the Internet to look up anything. I have found if you give your brain a chance to do the work itself, it usually rises to the task.

Comments