K2 Breakfast Sandwich

In case you have not yet heard enough reasons to get more Vitamin K2 into your diet, how about LESS WRINKLES? Not only does Vitamin K2 reverse and prevent heart disease as well as osteoporosis and tooth decay (by moving calcium deposits from blocked arteries to bones and teeth) but studies in Japan have shown that women who eat natto (the highest known food source of K2) have fewer facial wrinkles along with greater bone density. Scientists have measured the bone density in aging women and have noted a strong correlation between osteoporosis and facial wrinkles. BTW, it is currently estimated that approximately 90% of the western world is deficient in Vitamin K2. (If you are looking for more information about Vitamin K2, I recommend Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox by Kate Rheaume-Bleue.)

Are you sold yet???

I know you have looked at those pictures of natto and read the descriptions of the strange, spider-webby goo that surrounds the soybeans, and you have said to yourself, "There is no chance in hell that I will ever eat that nasty concoction." Well, I can't say I blame you. But honestly, it does not taste bad at all. There is really more of a psychological barrier as it looks so weird. But the sandwich I created this morning for breakfast made me forget that I was eating natto! (No small feat for a sandwich!)






K2 Breakfast Sandwich

2 slices sprouted wheat bread (I like Trader Joe's brand.)
1 TB shredded cheese (I used gruyere but your favorite cheese is fine.)
1 teaspoon organic miso paste (I used red miso.)
1 packet natto (minus the soy sauce and mustard)
1 TB grass-fed butter
1 large pastured egg (from grass-fed chicken, if possible!)
1/4 of an avocado, sliced
Pink Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper

Melt butter in a frying pan. Place one slice of bread in pan and sprinkle on the shredded cheese. Crack egg in the other half of the pan. Sprinkle plenty of salt and pepper over the egg. Cover pan and cook until the white of the egg is completely opaque. (I like a very runny yolk, but cook yours as much as you desire!) While the egg is cooking, spread the other slice of bread with miso and lay the slices of avocado on top. Then pour the natto over the avocado. Drape your cooked egg on top of the natto and close your sandwich with the toasted, cheesy bread. Cut in half, as this is a fully loaded, extremely messy sandwich. Eat with several napkins. But don't eat the napkins. Serves one hungry, wrinkled woman. (Great for men, too!)

Comments

  1. That sandwich sounds great! I hadn't heard of K2 or natto before reading this - looks like I know what I will be researching later today! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your helpful questions and comments here! Thanks for being part of this balanced community!