Bean Hollow

If you happen to be strolling around downtown Ellicott City in this heat, you might be looking for a cool place to sit down and get a beverage. Let's say it is lunchtime and you might also want a bite to eat. Sure, there are loads of choices in the historic area. But not all of your choices are inexpensive. In fact, I would guess that Bean Hollow offers some of the best value in beverage and food options for breakfast and lunch.



This smallish coffee shop on Main Street offers a vast array of coffee-centered beverages, both hot and cold. Yesterday, I could not resist the Thai Iced Coffee (small: $2.75) which blends condensed milk with espresso and ice. Yummy, cold, refreshing, and invigorating. My friend tried the Matcha Iced Tea which incorporated Japanese green tea powder. Her drink was a lovely green color reminiscent of a kale smoothie. And she enjoyed it immensely.

I have visited Bean Hollow many times before. I have sampled hot coffee drinks and pastries as well as bagel sandwiches. This time, I opted for the Apple Salad ($8.50). Pretty impressive, right? If you have been following my blog, you know I usually splurge whenever I eat out. Not this time, baby! I went with HEALTHY! And my salad was very tasty and fresh. It included chopped green apples, pecan pieces, red onion, feta cheese, chunks of chicken breast, and cucumbers over a bed of lettuce. The dressing was the only disappointment. I always make my own as bottled dressing is just not my thing. I received a packet of Ken's Honey Dijon. Just eh. Not horrible but a good salad deserves a good dressing. Bean Hollow could easily whip up a few of their own house dressings and their salads would immediately be elevated.

Next time I visit, I simply must splurge on one of their incredible-looking pastries. I was particularly tempted by a gorgeous almond tart this time. And I loved the sound of the Naughty Angelfood Cake which is stuffed with a decadent chocolate filling. Any locals interested in coffee and cake sometime?

hocofood@@@
#hocofood

Comments