Luau Pork

This is one of those simple crockpot dishes that you can assemble in minutes. Then you leave it alone as it cooks all day and when you get hungry, dinner is practically done. Since I currently have squash coming out my ears, I made a squash and tomato side dish to accompany the pork. However, you might want to go with something more tropical. A mango salsa would be delicious!

I found this recipe in Cheater BBQ, by Mindy Merrell and R.B. Quinn. I am posting the recipe as it appears in the book (mostly) although when I prepared this dish, I cut the amounts in half. Using country-style pork ribs will make your preparation even easier, but a whole boneless pork butt roast can also be cut up and used. The amounts listed here will serve 12-14! The next time I make this dish, however, I plan to use the larger amount of pork. It is THAT delicious!

Here's a photo of everything assembled in the crockpot before cooking:



Ingredients:

About 5-6 pounds country-style pork ribs or a Boston Butt pork roast cut into large chunks
1 TB kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 TB paprika

1 cup pineapple juice
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup rice vinegar
6 garlic cloves, smashed
3 serrano chilis, sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh ginger

In a large (6 quart) crockpot, place the chopped ginger, peppers, and garlic cloves. Sprinkle the dry seasonings over the pork and layer the pork into the crockpot. Pour the wet ingredients over the pork. Cover and set on high for 5-6 hours or on low for 10-12 hours. Pork is done when it pulls apart easily and reaches an internal temperature of 190F. Serve with sauce drizzled over the top. 

Comments