Paleo Meatloaf (With a Surprise!)

My friend Susan totally hooked me up. Not only did she find a source of grass-fed beef liver (Relay Foods) which was inexpensive ($4.75 per pound) and local (Wolf Creek Farm in Virginia), she also delivered the liver to me AND gave me a recipe to use. I've told you about Susan before-- this is the woman who writes award-winning novels, paints and draws beautifully, runs marathons, and has recently become even thinner on a Paleo diet. She has inspired me over and over again. Today I will share the recipe she suggested for this healthy, delicious meatloaf.



If you want to check out the original recipe, just go to thepaleomom.com. You will find tons of recipes which are strictly Paleo, often eliminating eggs, nightshades, and other common allergens as well. The original recipe is called Hidden Liver Meatloaf. This is a great way of incorporating beef liver into a dish your whole family will eat and enjoy. Why add liver to your diet at all? Because it is loaded with nutrients. Every nutrient present in muscle meat is about ten times more in organ meat. 

Of course, I made a few minor changes to the original recipe. I chose to use an all-natural, uncured pork sausage instead of plain ground pork. I added ground lamb, in addition to the ground beef and beef liver. I used both eggs AND ground flax seed as a binder. I added parsnips to the array of veggies already listed. I also added freshly ground nutmeg. When I make it the next time, I'll probably add some nuts, too. Walnuts or pecans would be great for a bit of crunch.

Yes, this recipe is time-consuming. Sorry. I hope if you try it, you will feel it was worth the time. My version makes a VERY large loaf, so it will feed a family of four at least 2 meals, if not more.

PALEO MEATLOAF
Ingredients:
1 pound beef liver, grass fed
1 pound ground beef, grass fed
1 pound ground lamb, grass fed or free range
1 pound uncured pork sausage, sweet Italian
2-3 TB coconut oil or bacon fat
1 large or several small carrots, finely chopped
1 parsnip, finely chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped,
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2-3 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika (optional)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1 TB apple cider vinegar
1-2 TB molasses
2 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup flax seeds, ground into meal

Toss the whole beef liver into the food processor and grind into a paste. Mix all the ground meats and sausage with the liver. Saute the chopped veggies in oil until soft. Grind the whole flax seeds in a coffee or spice grinder. Mix all ingredients until well combined. 


Place in fridge and chill for several hours to meld the flavors. Shape into a loaf and place loaf in large cast iron pan. Bake for about 1 and 1/2 hours at 350F. Serve with mashed cauliflower.

Comments