Strawberry Rhubarb Cheesecake Bars

In my continuing quest for healthy(ish) desserts, I have combined fresh rhubarb from my garden with store-bought strawberries (mine are still small and green) in a cheesecake format. Instead of baking the whole thing in my usual pie pan, I switched to a 9x13 rectangular Pyrex pan in order to accommodate the added ingredients.



The cheesecake batter is basically the same one I've been using for years, except I added some fresh lemon zest and cut the sugar back to one quarter cup. The tart batter complements the tartness of the rhubarb, balancing out the sweetness of the strawberries.



I've baked the cheesecake in stages, beginning with just the crust for 10 minutes to allow it to set. Then I added the rhubarb and berries and baked again for 20 minutes. I added the cheesecake batter last, with a topping of sliced almonds, and baked the entire thing for another 30 minutes. A total of 1 hour in oven time.



Ingredients:

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup almond flour
2 TB coconut oil
1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut

Pulse all crust ingredients in food processor until finely ground and beginning to stick together. Dump mixture into bottom of 9x13 cake pan and press lightly with fingertips to form crust on bottom of pan. Bake at 350F for about 10 minutes or until just beginning to brown. Remove from oven.

2 cups diced fresh rhubarb
2 cups diced fresh strawberries
1 TB white sugar

Arrange rhubarb and strawberries evenly over crust. Sprinkle with sugar. Return to oven for about 20 minutes or until strawberries begin to soften. Remove from oven.

3 large eggs
16 oz. cottage cheese
8 oz. cream cheese
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teas. vanilla extract
1 teas. grated lemon zest

1/2 cup sliced almonds (set aside)

Blend all ingredients well. (I like to use a handheld blender.) When batter is smooth, pour over berries and rhubarb evenly. Top with sliced almonds. Bake for 30 minutes or until batter is set and almonds are lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool completely before slicing into bars. Chill for several hours or overnight before serving. ENJOY!

Comments