Fit Jam: Get Fit While You Dance



For the past five years, I've been teaching a dance fitness class I call Fit Jam through Howard County Rec and Parks. Before that, I taught Zumba. Everyone has heard of Zumba. No one has heard of Fit Jam, but my Fit Jam classes are pretty much the same as when I was calling my class "Zumba." The choreography is created specifically to match the music, a hallmark of Zumba classes, and makes for a highly enjoyable dance experience.

Fit Jam Cardio Party is offered on Mondays and Thursdays at 5:45pm. Here is the link to register online: https://apm.activecommunities.com/howardcounty/Activity_Search?txtActivitySearch=Fit%20Jam&applyFiltersDefaultValue=true&cat=Activities

In Fit Jam, we dance to music from all over the world. I include plenty of pop songs, stuff you might hear on the radio. But I also add a country song here and there, as well as lots of different Latin and world music. The steps might be taken from dance styles such as salsa, hip hop, reggaetton, cumbia, merengue, rumba, mambo, flamenco, or bhangra. Choreography is simple and repetitive in order to make it easy to pick up. My goal is to make the class fun!

In terms of developing fitness, Fit Jam employs a concept similar to Zumba, called Intermittent Training. This means that the speed, or tempo, of each song varies. In a typical aerobics class, the speed of the music gradually increases to a peak, then gradually decreases again in the shape of a bell curve. In Fit Jam, we might have a slow song followed by a fast song followed by a medium-tempo song. By varying the tempo from song to song, we actually burn more calories than if the tempo smoothly and gradually changed.

In every class, I include some type of strength training in addition to the cardio component. Sometimes we use light weights for upper body toning. Often we use squats and different kinds of lunges to build lower body strength. All of this is choreographed to the music, so the strength component is not separate from the dance component. All of the fitness moves blend seamlessly into the dance steps. In this way, Fit Jam makes fitness fun!

If you love to dance, even if you have 2 left feet, Fit Jam is for you! There is no need to perform perfectly in this class. Each student is free to adjust the steps as needed to make the class work for the individual. Often I offer alternative steps if my moves are strenuous or challenging. Everyone is encouraged to do what suits their own body and needs.

Thinking of joining us but still have questions? Leave me a comment below!


Comments