Treats that Don't Kill your Weight Loss



As you may already know, I am on a spring weight loss kick. I stepped on the scale last week for the first time this year, and the number did not bring me joy. In fact, it brought me great sadness and despair. I vowed to eliminate all junk food, grains, processed crap, and empty calories from my diet. So how can I possibly discuss "treats?"

Believe it or not, I make "treats" for myself with zero added sugar and often using no grains. I have posted my cheesecake recipe on this blog, so you can check that out. It is high in protein, high in good fats, and very low in carbs and sugars. I usually have a side of fresh, sliced strawberries with my cheesecake, along with a large mug of decaf green tea. This is a fantastic, filling dessert that works for anyone on a ketogenic diet, a low-carb regimen, or Atkins.



Berries are a great treat. Now that spring is here, our grocery stores will be overflowing with fresh berries. Strawberries are already here, and summer months will bring local blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and more. Berries are low in sugar compared to other fruits, while high in fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants. They are recommended even on a ketogenic diet, as long as you don't eat too many!

Nuts are another fantastic treat or snack. Nuts are mostly fat, so they work well on a ketogenic program. Nuts have a great crunch, so if you're missing chips, they are a good substitute. They also contain some protein as well as fiber. Just be sure to measure your servings because nuts are highly caloric!


In France and other European countries, cheese is often served after a meal. Cheese might not seem like much of a treat to Americans, but combine a few fresh berries, some nuts, and a couple of slices of fancy cheese and you have a delicious mini-meal that eats almost like a treat! Just skip the bread and crackers.



Another delicious treat is a grain-free mug cake. I have posted several recipes on this blog. You can whip up a warm mug cake in less than 5 minutes total. Just a minute of baking in the microwave, and you have a soft, moist, fragrant cake that works on any low-carb program.

Last but FAR from least, dark chocolate is a good treat as long as you keep the serving size small. Yes, it contains some sugar, but go with a higher percentage of cocoa for more nutrition and less added sugar. I find 70-80% is yummy. Higher than 80% is fairly bitter, but I still like it! Cocoa contains antioxidants and important minerals like magnesium.

I'm working on some grain-free cookie recipes. I should be ready to share those with you soon!

Comments