Carrot Oatmeal Cookies



I've been going through my cookbook collection, giving away anything I haven't used and probably won't use. In this day and age of internet supremacy, the cookbook seems like a very old-fashioned way to find recipes. But as I perused an ancient copy (owned by my hubby before we met!) of Jane Brody's Good Food Book, I found quite a few recipes I used to make, recipes I loved back in the 80s and 90s. And they still sounded good to me today.



These Carrot Oatmeal Cookies are an example. I tweaked the recipe a bit, but stuck with almost all of the ingredients in the original. I deleted the brown sugar, but kept the molasses. I used coconut oil in place of the vegetable oil. Butter would also be fine. I used white whole wheat flour for more fiber and nutrients than refined white flour. I doubled the cinnamon for double the flavor.



If you're dieting, these cookies might be a once in a while treat. Although I reduced the amount of sugar, they are still high in carbs.

Ingredients:

1/3 cup coconut oil (or butter)
1/3 cup molasses
1 egg
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup grated carrot (about 2 medium carrots)
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup rolled oats

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a large mixing bowl, beat oil and molasses until combined. Add egg and beat some more. Add the rest of the ingredients one at a time, stirring gently after each addition. Drop dough by spoonfuls onto lightly greased cookie sheet (or use Silpat sheets) about 2 inches apart. Bake for 10-11 minutes, or until no longer wet on top. Let cookies cool for 5-10 minutes before removing from sheet. Store in sealed container. Makes about 2 dozen cookies.

Comments