Feed Your Brain



As far back as forever, I've always heard that fish is brain food. Maybe that was originally an old wives tale, but those old wives were correct!

The latest studies from Columbia University (my alma mater) show that brain cells continue to grow and replenish as long as the brain receives adequate blood flow and the necessary nutrients. One of the nutrients that seems to help the brain the most is DHA. DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) is a fatty acid found in the meat of cold-water fish, including mackerel, herring, tuna, halibut, salmon, cod liver, whale blubber, and seal blubber.

Do you eat fish? How often? Do you take fish oil in the form of a liquid or capsule?

I used to take fish oil, but then I read all about the polluted waters and mercury poisoning. I got worried about my supplements and stopped taking fish oil altogether. Now I have read that krill oil is safer, and free from mercury contamination, while still high in DHA. If I were to begin supplementing again, I would choose krill oil.

These days, I try to eat fatty fish at least twice per week. It's important to look for wild caught instead of farm-raised fish. Farmed fish are fed soy and corn-based fish food, live in overcrowded pools, and are in many ways similar to factory-farmed beef and chicken. Look for sustainably harvested fish whenever possible. 

Can you substitute plant foods which contain other forms of omega 3 fatty acids, like flax seeds and walnuts? No. Although these nuts and seeds are certainly worth adding to your diet, they do not break down into DHA which specifically fuels the growth of brain cells.

If you are squeamish about sardines, which are one of the safest and most nutritious fish, I suggest you substitute them for tuna in your favorite recipe. Mashed up in a "tuna" salad, you will not be able to see or taste the difference. Likewise in a "tuna" casserole. If you like canned tuna, you will also enjoy canned sardines on a salad or inside a sushi roll. Get creative!

And get to eating some fish!

Comments