Broccoli Sprout Smoothie



I am currently on a 3-week break between my teaching sessions. I was on a roll with my weight loss, but since my break began, I've actually GAINED a pound. This could be due to my lack of intense exercise, my increase in wine consumption, my relaxed attitude toward baked goods like banana bread, or all of the above.



However, I plan to put a stop to this at once. I am going back to my regular routine. And one factor in my normal routine is my bi-weekly (twice per week) smoothie for dinner habit. When I teach in the evening, I always drink a smoothie before class instead of eating a regular dinner. The only downside to my regular smoothie habit is the lack of veggies.



And then I learned about Dr. Rhonda Patrick and her broccoli sprout shakes. Adding broccoli sprouts to my smoothies seemed like a no-brainer. Take something that's already awesome and add the most awesome superfood to it!?! Duh!!! Dr. Patrick freezes her broccoli sprouts before adding them to her shakes. The freezing helps break down the cellular structure and releases more sulphoraphane, the active ingredient which helps to prevent AND fight cancer, along with numerous other benefits.



Instead of creating a completely new smoothie recipe, I decided to take the recipe that has been working so well for me and just add broccoli sprouts. I also added a small handful of freshly picked kale leaves. If broccoli sprouts are the most awesome greens, kale is a close second. Now my smoothie is a complete meal, nutritionally dense with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, protein, fiber, and just about everything you might desire in a smoothie. Including great taste!



If you don't like any of the ingredients, feel free to sub in the fruits or veggies you prefer. I like using frozen fruit because it keeps the smoothie cold and improves the texture. I think this works better than adding ice.

Ingredients:

Half a banana, frozen
1/4 cup blueberries, frozen
1 cup broccoli sprouts, frozen
6-8 small kale leaves
1/2 cup organic whole milk yogurt (optional)
1 teaspoon maca (optional)
1 TB chia seeds (optional)
1 scoop protein powder (optional)
enough cold water to blend--about half a cup

Add all ingredients to high-powered blender. Blend thoroughly. Scrape sides to incorporate everything. Blend again until smooth. Makes plenty for one person for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or a very filling snack. Enjoy!

Comments