Butternut Squash Muffins



I've had this recipe for years. I could have sworn I posted it on this blog, but when I searched for it, nothing came up. So I dug out my recipe binders--2 fat binders stuffed with all the recipes I used to cut from magazines or copy out of library books--and I had to sift through both entire binders because-- wouldn't you know it--this was THE VERY LAST RECIPE in the second binder!!! But well worth all the searching as it's a perfect recipe for fall.



I originally found this recipe in The Washington Post, probably back in the late 80s. The original version had the calories per muffin listed as 378! 48 grams of carbs and 19 grams of fat! So definitely not diet food. But you know I never follow a recipe. My version cuts way back on the sugar, cuts back on the fat and substitutes coconut oil or butter for vegetable oil, and adds fiber with whole grain flour. I also switched out the dates and added in dried apricots instead--more flavor and less sugar.



Ingredients:

1/2 cup brown sugar (or molasses or honey)
1/2 cup butter, softened (or coconut oil)
2 large eggs
1 cup cooked butternut squash puree (or sweet potato or pumpkin puree)
1 cup unsweetened applesauce (or pear sauce!)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 and 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup chopped apricots
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease muffin tins.

In a large mixing bowl, blend sugar with softened butter. Add eggs. Mix well. Add the rest of the ingredients one at a time. After the dry ingredients, stir gently just to combine. Spoon batter into muffin tins. Bake at 350F for about 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool. Store in airtight container in the fridge or eat immediately. Makes 12 regular size muffins or 24 mini-muffins. ENJOY!


Comments