Pimento Cheese



I got a naughty cookbook from the library last week: Back in the Day Bakery Made with Love. Written by Cheryl Day and Griff Day, this is a cookbook for anyone who loves to bake and eat Southern-style treats. Yes, there are numerous recipes for desserts. But there are also a handful of savory ones.

If you grew up north of the Mason Dixon Line, you might not be familiar with pimento cheese. This is definitely a Southern thing. A fantastic spread made from cheddar cheese, mayo, and chopped pimentos. It goes great on crackers, celery sticks, toast, but best of all on a burger!

When we drive down to Florida, we always stop for dinner at the Sweet Tea Grill outside of Savannah. And I always get their signature burger topped with pimento cheese, bacon, and pepper jelly. OMG, is this burger to die for? YES! Add a side of sweet potato fries and go straight to heaven.

When I saw the recipe for pimento cheese in my naughty cookbook, I decided right away to make my own version of the burger I swoon over. I started by making some bacon mayo from scratch. You can use Duke's mayo (this is specified in the recipe) but I try to avoid soybean oil. Bacon mayo will be fantastic as a substitution. The rest of the ingredients were purchased at Aldi.

Ingredients:

1 pound extra sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 pound Pecorino Romano
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 small garlic clove, minced
1 and 1/2 teaspoons Kentucky bourbon
1 teaspoon mustard
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 cup diced pimentos

Grate the two cheeses. In a large bowl, combine the rest to the ingredients. Add the cheeses and mix gently until well combined. Cover bowl and refrigerate for a day or so to let the flavors mingle. Will last about 1 week in the fridge.

Enjoy!

Comments