Deep Dark Chocolate Cake

I don't post very many SUPER SWEET recipes. And I almost never eat cake. The last time I had a slice of chocolate cake was so long ago, I can't even remember when it was.

Now that I've gotten the disclaimers out of the way, I'm going to post a naughty recipe.

My birthday is coming up soon, and I plan to make my own cake. Sure, I could get my husband to do it, but I'm a control freak. And if I ask him to make me a cake, he won't appreciate me telling him HOW to do it. And I will definitely want to tell him exactly how. For some things, it's just easier to do it yourself.

Anyway, I found a recipe that looks AMAZING.

Have you ever tried Costco's giant chocolate layer cake with chocolate frosting and chocolate shavings on top? If you ever need a really big cake for a party, I'd recommend it. The quality is excellent, but the size is ridiculous. This recipe looks as good, or maybe even better!



I'm making a recipe from Back in the Day Bakery: Made with Love by Cheryl Day and Griffith Day. I've posted a few of their recipes in the past. This recipe looks PERFECT for me: a dark chocolate cake with a dark chocolate ganache for frosting. It's called Chocolate Cream Cake. As you can see in the photo, it has vanilla buttercream in the center. I plan to skip the buttercream, as well as the layers. I will cut the recipe in half, bake a small sheet cake, and frost just the top with ganache. The end product will be delicious, super sweet, very naughty, and exactly what I'm looking for.

After I half the ingredients, and prepare the batter, I will preheat the over to 350F and spray a 9x13" pan with olive oil spray. I'm planning to bake the cake for about 40 minutes, but I will start checking it after about 35 minutes. I don't want to overbake it as it will then be dry. Let the cake cool before frosting it with ganache. (I will only make a half-recipe of the ganache as well.)


In the top of a double-boiler, melt the butter along with the cream. (You can also do this carefully in the microwave in a heatproof bowl.) Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. Let the ganache cool until it thickens and looks glossy. Pour over the cooled cake and spread evenly with a spatula. Let it set. Serve with sliced fresh strawberries or raspberries. Makes about 8 generous servings. Enjoy!




Comments