Facing Your Fears



It's easy to be bold when we are young. Maybe that's the way we were designed: to take the world by storm when we have loads of energy and not a lot of sense. I remember when I wasn't afraid of anything. That's no longer the case.

Fear is natural. Fear is sometimes--often!--sensible. There is a lot to fear in the world: crime, hatred, mental illness, other diseases, corporate greed, accidents, losing loved ones, losing money, losing friends, losing your mind, loss in general.

Fear can keep us alive. This is its job. But fear can also keep us stunted and small, keep us from growing, keep us stuck.

There are certainly instances where we should respect our fears. I am never going to skydive. I will never purposely travel into a war zone. I won't volunteer to join an expedition headed for Mars. But I am working on allowing my life to change.

It's easier not to change. Why fix what's not broken?

Well, things don't need to be broken to be outdated.

How well is your life working for you? Do you look forward to the start of each day? Are you challenged? Are you growing and stretching to new heights? Are you using your talents? If not, why not? What needs to change?

Facing fear doesn't mean you no longer feel afraid. Facing fear means feeling afraid and still moving forward. Walking into that fear with eyes open. And moving through it to the other side.

If what you desire lies on the other side of fear, take a step in that direction. I'm going there, too.

Comments