Gluten-free Peach Crisp

My daughter turns 21 this week and she doesn't like cake. Instead, she asked me to make a peach crisp for her birthday celebration dinner. It's not quite peach season, but I've seen plenty of chefs use canned peaches to make delicious-looking desserts on Food Network. I figured I'd give it a shot.



To make the topping, I used a mixture of oats and honey, along with some sweet spices and almonds, to make something similar to granola. My inspiration was a very old recipe for peach pie from The Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katsen, which has been one of my go-to recipe books since college.



Instead of flour, I used tapioca starch as a thickener for the peach filling. I also omitted the flour from the topping, just using the oats. Tapioca and oats are naturally gluten-free, but if you have an allergy to gluten, check the labels to be sure. Some products are milled in a factory where wheat is also processed, and contamination can occur.



Ingredients:

2 cans (15 oz.) sliced peaches, drained
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 TB tapioca starch
pinch of salt

1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1/3 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup sliced almonds
2 cups rolled oats

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a Pyrex pie plate or baking dish, stir together peaches, spices, starch, and salt. Mix well. Set aside.



In a large bowl, blend together butter and honey until combined. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well.


Spoon the oat mixture over the peaches. Bake uncovered in a 350F oven for about 40-45 minutes, or until browned on top and bubbly. Let cool. Serve warm or cool, with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream on top.


Enjoy!

Comments