Saltstick Caps



The heat index is scary for the next 3 days. Actual temps will be in the high 90s, with the heat index soaring above 100 degrees in many parts of the country. Wherever you are, please be safe!

Heat exhaustion and heat stroke are conditions where your body has trouble cooling itself. Heat exhaustion is the first step. Heat stroke is an emergency situation. Do not screw around with heat stroke! Call 911 and/or get to the ER immediately. This is a life or death situation.

Heat exhaustion is also nothing to play around with. If you are working or exercising in the heat, know the symptoms: dizziness, nausea, confusion, clammy skin, feeling faint. Get in the shade or the AC right away. Drink plenty of cool water. Cool your body by taking a cool bath, shower, or pouring water over your head. If you have been drinking lots of water, it's also important to give your body the electrolytes you have sweated out.

Saltstick capsules are one option for replacing those electrolytes. Saltsticks contain all the minerals your body loses when you sweat. These include sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium. I like saltsticks because I prefer to replace my minerals without any added sugar, artificial sweeteners, preservatives, and artificial colors and flavors found in many sports drinks. If you prefer, you can use something like Gatorade to achieve the same result.

I usually take a saltstick before I go to teach a class or exercise outdoors. The level of all the minerals included is fairly low (less than 10% of the RDA) so it is very unlikely that I will be getting too much of anything. I think of the saltsticks as insurance. I could easily skip the saltsticks and feel fine, but I prefer not to take the chance. I drink lots of water, and this factor makes it more likely that I could run into trouble. It has happened to me in the past, and believe me, heat exhaustion is not fun!

Stay cool and stay well hydrated, my friends!

Comments