Spicy Ginger Broccoli Salad



Back when I used to shop at Costco, I loved their broccoli salad. Although the broccoli in it was raw, it was tossed together with so many yummy things--bacon, dried cranberries, pine nuts--that I was able to put up with raw cruciferousness. (That is definitely a word!)

Today's recipe is a very different type of broccoli salad.



First off, I steamed the broccoli before tossing it with the dressing. I vastly prefer my broccoli lightly steamed. Raw broccoli is truly terrible. I don't know how anyone can stand it. It almost always makes me want to run screaming in the opposite direction.



My spicy dressing began with a VERY hot sriracha mayo. I added more heat with ground ginger and pickled ginger. Since this salad appeared to be heading in an Asian direction, I threw in some toasted sesame oil, garlic powder, and sesame seeds.

The result? A super easy, super spicy, and super yummy salad! Great year-round!

Ingredients:

1 large head of broccoli, chopped and lightly steamed
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
2-3 TB sriracha mayo (or mayo plus sriracha!)
1 TB toasted sesame oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 TB sesame seeds (or Everything Bagel Seasoning)
1-2 TB rice wine vinegar
1 TB pickled ginger (or to taste)
Roasted cashews (to garnish)

In the bottom of a large mixing bowl, stir together mayo and all the ingredients for the dressing. Mix well. Toss dressing with broccoli and onion. Chill for an hour or more before serving. Garnish salad with cashews right before serving. Makes at least 4 hearty servings or 8 small side-dish-size helpings. ENJOY!

Comments