Superfood Brownies



Yes, you read that right! I'm creating a new recipe for brownies using SUPERFOODS!

I've been reading Drop Dead Healthy by A.J. Jacobs--I love this book! It's so funny!!--and have been obsessing over superfoods. While Jacobs tries to beat his own record for the number of superfoods he can incorporate into one meal--usually a salad-- I am thinking more along the lines of how many I can cram into something not nearly as healthy. Like a brownie.

I try not to consume too much sugar. Most days, I succeed in this endeavor. But there are occasions when I deviate from this path. Yes, now and again, I fall off the wagon. And lately I've been thinking about the last lonely box of Ghiradelli brownie mix in the cupboard.



When my kids were young, I always kept brownie mix on hand because you never knew when you might be called upon to provide a baked product for a potluck or a bake sale. Brownies are so quick and easy to make, and everyone loves them. They're difficult to ruin, although overbaking can certainly do the trick. I tend to err on the opposite end of the spectrum, so my brownies are usually so gooey, it's almost impossible to get them out of the pan.

If you love brownies, and you also love superfoods, I am about to make your day! I'm going to throw as many superfoods as I can find into a batch of basic brownie batter. When I'm done, I expect to have a delicious, yet also nutritious, treat. Will they contain sugar? Yes. So this recipe is not for you if you are: A) trying to lose weight, B) doing keto, or C) diabetic. For the rest of us, maybe we can limit our portion size to one small brownie. An occasional treat won't kill us!


Ingredients:

1/3 cup melted coconut oil (healthy fat)
3 large eggs (excellent source of protein)
1/3 cup strong black coffee (high in antioxidants)
3 TB coconut flour (high in fiber)
1/3 cup almond flour (high in potassium)
2 TB chia seeds (high in protein and fiber)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (good fats)
1 cup dried blueberries (loaded with antioxidants)
2 TB hemp seeds (high in magnesium)
1 pouch Ghiradelli triple chocolate brownie mix (not exactly a superfood...)
1/4 cup raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1/4 cup dried coconut flakes (unsweetened)

Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease the bottom of a 9x13 Pyrex pan.

In a large mixing bowl, beat together the liquid ingredients until completely combined. Stir in the rest of the ingredients, except for the coconut and pepitas. Mix gently until just combined. Scrape batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle coconut and pepitas over the top. Bake brownies at 325F for about 40 minutes or until the edges look cooked. Remove pan from oven and let sit until cool. Cut into small squares. Serve with hot or iced coffee, chai, or your favorite beverage. Enjoy!

Comments