The BEST Tuna Salad in the Universe



Does my title for today's blog sound too braggy? Do you think I might be overconfident?

I don't care! Because this tuna salad is truly TO DIE FOR!

I know what you're thinking: this woman is off her meds. She's lost it completely.

Perhaps.

But whatever my mental state, my taste buds are still alive and kicking. And today's recipe is worth bragging about. No exaggeration. I've served my tuna salad to people who HATE tuna. And you know what they say? "Delicious!!!" and "Can I have the recipe???"

Tuna salad reminds me of childhood. I think it's fantastic on whole wheat. Also great on a tuna melt with sliced tomatoes. Super duper on crunchy crackers like Triscuits. Put a scoop on top of a salad if you're on keto. It's impossible to go wrong here.

In case you would like to make your tuna salad even more nutritious, higher in omega-3s, lower in mercury, and more sustainable, I have a bizarre suggestion. Substitute canned sardines for all of part of the canned tuna in this recipe. I usually do half tuna and half sardines. No one can tell the difference. Sardines are a better choice as they are a smaller fish, not in any danger of being over-fished, and very low-risk for mercury. Tuna, on the other hand, is a large fish, in high demand world-wide, and in danger of mercury contamination.


This recipe makes plenty of tuna (or sardine!) salad--enough for at least 8 sandwiches. You can easily cut the amounts in half if you're not feeding an army.

Ingredients:

2 small cans (6 oz.) of tuna fish, drained
2 small cans of sardines, drained (or just use 2 more cans of tuna)
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
3 TB spicy sriracha mayo (optional)
3 TB regular mayo
1-2 TB ketchup
1/3 cup finely chopped celery
1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
2 TB capers
6 Gherkins pickles, chopped
1 TB Everything But The Bagel seasoning from Trader Joe's
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large bowl, mash the tuna and sardines with cream cheese until blended. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well to incorporate. Chill the tuna salad for an hour or more before serving. ENJOY!


Comments