Best Exercises After 50: Part 2



In my first blogpost about the best exercises after age 50, I discussed walking. Walking comes in first as the very most bestest exercise since it's so easy to do, requires no equipment, is gentle on the joints, and almost everyone can do it almost anywhere.

Today, I'm moving onto my second choice for the over 50 crowd: biking.

My hubby and I took our first bike ride this morning in our new neighborhood. We biked to the South Venice Lemon Bay Conservancy. This quick ride took us only about 10 minutes in each direction. Once we arrived, we locked up our bikes and walked on the trails.We saw a bald eagle sitting next to its HUGE nest in a pine tree. When we got up close, it flew off to a nearby tree, keeping an eye on us. Unfortunately, we did not have a camera handy, so no photos! Sorry!

Bike riding is an excellent exercise for many of the same reasons walking is so great:

*easy on the joints--no impact on the knees, hips, or ankles.
*almost everyone can ride a bike.
*gives you an aerobic workout if you push hard on those pedals!
*gives you a nice breeze--important here in Florida!
*saves gas when you substitute your bike for your car.
*good for the environment as well as the body.
*gets you outside in nature.

Bike riding does require a bicycle. And a helmet is also a good idea. I like to wear some padded bike shorts, but those are not exactly mandatory. So there may be some initial investment in order to begin riding. But first check out places where you can rent or borrow a bike. If your neighborhood has bike paths, you will probably find places to borrow a bike for a small fee. See if you enjoy riding before you invest in your own bike and bike gear.

Other considerations: I don't like riding in traffic. Our neighborhood is made up of very quiet back roads, so I feel comfortable riding here. But my preference by far is riding on bike paths where cars are not an issue. If you plan to ride on the roads, be sure to follow all the same rules as for driving. Plus, wear brightly colored clothing; neon and florescent is best. Make sure drivers can see you. I don't plan to ride in the dark, but if you do, use reflective gear and a light on the front and rear of your bike. 

I haven't mentioned spin classes because I've never done one and I don't plan to. I honestly cannot see the point of riding a bike inside a gym, but I know these classes are popular. Seems strange to me, like walking on a treadmill instead of walking in the park. I guess it works in the rain, though!

Bottom line: anything that gets us up, off the couch, and moving our bodies is a positive thing. Riding a bike is a fun way to get exercise and get to know your neighborhood. Give it a try and see what you think!

Comments