Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies



This recipe is brought to you courtesy of my upcoming move. I need to empty out the freezer and the pantry. What better way than to throw together a batch of cookies?



Lately my hubby and I have been sampling the bakery products from our local grocery stores. We've tried a bunch of different kinds of cookies. I'm usually not a huge fan of store-bought cookies. Homemade are just vastly superior! But when you are short on time and high on stress, supermarket cookies come in handy.

Aldi sells cranberry oatmeal cookies that are a good choice when you can't bake your own. They're chock full of tart dried cranberries. Although they're a little too sweet for me, they're much better than most store-bought oatmeal cookies.

I know I'm weird, but I prefer my cookies to have some nutrition and not too much sugar. I want a yummy treat that's also pretty healthy. Today's recipe definitely fits the bill. These cookies have loads of dark chocolate chunks, shredded coconut, and chia seeds. They are high in fiber, and full of healthy fats and antioxidants.



You can splurge on dessert, but not feel too guilty!



Ingredients:

1 cup coconut oil (or grassfed butter)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 TB chia seeds
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup almond flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup dark chocolate chunks
1 cup shredded coconut flakes

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a large mixing bowl, cream coconut oil and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat well. Add the rest of the ingredients one at a time, mixing after each addition. Spoon dough onto a well greased cookie sheet and bake at 350F for about 11 minutes or until edges are browned. Cool for about 5-10 minutes before removing cookies from sheet. Store in sealed container for several days or freeze for longer storage. Makes 2 dozen large cookies. ENJOY!

Comments