Corn Bread Souffle



Happy Thanksgiving! I hope your holiday celebration is filled with family, friends, and fun.



Years ago, when my girls were little, this corn bread recipe was a staple on our Thanksgiving table. As my daughters got older, I got lazier and started cutting corners. My family loves stuffing, so I axed the corn bread souffle and kept the stuffing, as the two dishes seemed similarly "bready" to me.

Here in Florida for our first tropical Thanksgiving, I have resurrected the corn bread souffle. My mom loves this dish, and this will be my first Thanksgiving cooking for her in about 10 years. Believe it or not, I am ditching the stuffing. We will have mashed potatoes, of course, so I don't think we'll be short on carbs.

If you are lazy, like me, you will love this recipe. It's super easy and quick to make. Everyone will go wild over it because it's the perfect balance between corn bread (too dry and boring) and corn souffle (too French and too much work!) You can make it a day or two ahead of time and just reheat it at the last moment. (I slightly underbaked mine so it wouldn't end up dried out when I reheat it.)

Ingredients: 

2-3 TB grassfed butter (or olive oil)
8 oz. cream cheese (lowfat is fine)
15 oz can whole kernel corn, drained
15 oz can cream-style corn
2 packages (8.5 oz) Jiffy corn muffin mix
3 large eggs, beaten
1-2 cups shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese (Use as much as you like!)

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 13x9 Pyrex dish.

In a large bowl, microwave butter for 20-30 seconds or until melted. Mix in cream cheese and microwave again for 15 seconds if needed in order to blend well. Add corns, muffin mixes, and eggs. Blend completely. Stir in one cup shredded cheese (if desired) then pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle remaining cup of cheese over the top.

Bake for 40 minutes (35 minutes if reheating the following day) or until beginning to brown on top. Cool slightly before serving. Makes about 16 servings. ENJOY!

Comments