South Venice Lemon Bay Preserve



Since I've been fighting off this rotten cold, I haven't been up for any kind of vigorous workout. But I want to keep moving, not just sit around on my butt. I passed along my illness to my poor husband, so yesterday I hopped on my bike all by myself and rode to a park in my new neighborhood.

South Venice Lemon Bay Preserve is more like several parks. There are at least 5 different entrances. My hubby and I rode to the Ocelot Road entrance last week and we spotted a bald eagle sitting next to its nest. This week, I entered at Kenisco Road.

The park stretches along the shores of Lemon Bay, but the trails do not have a view of the water. This is probably the most disappointing thing about this park. I mean, Lemon Bay is right in the title, so I definitely expected to see the bay. On our first walk, we didn't even get close. But yesterday, I ended up getting a glimpse.

After parking my bike at the entrance--some folks attempt to ride through the park, but they often get off and end up walking their bikes--I followed the sandy trail across two boardwalk bridges. Although I could hear rustling and splashes, I didn't see any creatures in the mangroves. The water looked murky and brackish, with a distinct sulfur smell.

I made it all the way to the end of the trail, onto a tiny spit of sand. In a clearing large enough for one person, I was able to stand on the "beach" and peek through the dense foliage to see the bay. There was also a steep pile of sand--man-made, maybe--which I climbed for a better view. A few fish flopped and hopped out of the water.

On my way back, I spotted this amazing creature:



He or she didn't move a muscle--except for the tongue--while I admired his/her beauty and snapped numerous photos with my phone. I believe this is a yellow rat snake. We had lots of black rat snakes in Maryland. They are not poisonous and not aggressive at all. This one posed for me for several minutes before I said goodbye and moved along.

So far, the wildlife here in my South Venice neighborhood has provided many moments of awe and wonder. Gopher tortoises creep around in my back yard. Anole lizards dart into my lanai every chance they get. Flocks of ibis dot the lawns while osprey sail over head.

I would talk about all the different types of flowering trees, bushes, vines, and plants, but I could not possibly name most of what I see. The variety is amazing. I have a lot to learn.

These are a few of the positive aspects of living here in Florida. Yes, the weather is hotter than the surface of the sun. No one is able to drive the speed limit. I am still missing my friends and my classes back in Maryland. But I'm working on learning to be patient. I'm sure I'll make some connections here soon.


Comments