Brew Burger Revisited



If you read my first review of Brew Burger, you might remember I gave their "Ollie G." burger a rating of B. It was good, but I wasn't blown away.

Last night, we decided to give the place another try. I figured I didn't pick the best burger. The bun was definitely the weak point, so I went for a bigger patty on a heftier bun this time.

I ordered the Smoky Burger (BBQ sauce and pepper jack cheese) which is normally a third of a pound of meat on a regular bun. I supersized it to a half pounder on a pretzel bun. (Our server didn't complain about my specialized order.) I got the sweet potato fries again as my side.



My hubby chose the Colossal Burger which comes on a pretzel bun with a half pound of ground beef topped with fries smothered in beer cheese sauce. He got more fries on the side and this time I made sure to taste them for myself.


Sadly, our second trip to Brew Burger did not change my initial grade. I'd give the Smoky Burger another B. It was cooked to the right temperature, as before. The pretzel bun was thicker and denser, which was a plus, but was also lacking in flavor. There was none of the required salt on the top crust! Not very pretzel-like.

I tasted my hubby's fries, which I'd say were crisper and crunchier than McDonald's, but basically the same flavor-wise. His beer cheese sauce tasted mostly of American cheese. I couldn't detect any beer flavor. As far as being "colossal," I think I'd just call his burger "large."

Brew Burger gets some things right. Their burgers are cooked to order. There's a lot of variety on the menu, but when it comes down to choosing a burger, many of the selections are downright weird. I don't want pulled pork, fried shrimp, ham, or pineapple on my burger. But I do want a fantastic bun with heft and flavor. I don't want cheese sauces, but I do want real cheese with loads of flavor.

We plan to continue our search for the best burger in Sarasota county. Please feel free to give us suggestions!

Comments