Sourdough Discard Cran-Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies


Yes, these cookies contain ALL of the ingredients in the title! Crazy? Maybe. Delicious? Definitely!


Not too sweet, just tart enough, soft and cakey, these cookies are perfect for snacking or dessert. Maybe even healthy enough for a breakfast on-the-go!


I started with a recipe for Cranberry Chocolate Chippers that I found in a cookbook many decades ago. I made the original recipe, but there was nowhere near enough dough to support all the cranberries and chocolate chips. I knew I needed more dough, and I also needed a way to use the cup or so of sourdough discard sitting in the fridge. (Yes, we are still going strong with our sourdough baking spree...)

You might already know that I have to "healthy" up every recipe I try. As far as baking goes, I add whole grains, nuts, maca, dark chocolate, and any other superfoods I happen to have on hand. I like my desserts to be subtly sweet, not in your face with the sugar. These cookies check all those boxes.

The combination of tart, ruby-red fresh (or frozen) cranberries and dark chocolate chips is a match made in cookie heaven. Add a bit of orange zest and some brown sugar and you have the makings of a truly great treat. If you love cranberries as I do, you probably purchased several bags of the fresh berries back in November. I still have at least 7 bags in my freezer, ready to jump into pies, cakes, muffins, scones, or assorted cookies. You might see more of these recipes in the future!!

Ingredients:

8 TB butter, softened

1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)

Zest of one orange

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 large egg

1/2 cup sourdough discard

1 cup whole wheat flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries

1 cup dark chocolate chips

1/2 cup walnut pieces

Preheat oven to 350F. 

In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add zest and egg, along with vanilla. Beat well. Continue adding the rest of the ingredients, one at a time, stirring well after each addition.

Drop spoonfuls of dough onto greased cookie sheet (or use Silpat sheets) and bake at 350F for about 15 minutes. Cookies should be slightly firm to the touch. Remove from oven and let cool. Store in fridge or freezer. Makes about 2 dozen cookies.


Comments