NO Added SUGAR!

Inspired by local yoga teacher Cheryl Chaffee, I have decided to join her for a full month of no added sugar. When I heard why she was going to take on this challenge, I thought it made total sense. Although my sugar consumption has been fairly low, eliminating added sugar completely might make a difference. 

Sugar causes inflammation in the body. You might notice this effect in various areas. For example, inflammation in the tendons and ligaments can be responsible for joint pain. Inflammation in the arteries can bring on a heart attack or stroke. Alzheimers disease is an inflammation in the brain, often referred to as Diabetes Type 3. 

If you have ever tried to give up sugar, you know it can be tough. Cravings, headaches, excessive hunger, and grumpiness can ensue! I'm going to get through this month by eating enough protein and fat at each meal to curb excessive hunger. I usually eat 2 meals and 1 snack each day, plus my morning coffee. I plan to continue this eating pattern, just tweaking my final snack of the day which is where I normally have something sweet.

Yesterday, my meals looked like this:

8am: Coffee with 1/2 and 1/2, raw cacao, collagen, and inulin (Inulin is a prebiotic fiber.)

12noon: Salad with turkey breast, goddess dressing, tomatoes, and hummus.

4pm: Salmon with green beans

7pm: Pistachios, 2 dried apricots, 1 TB peanut butter, decaf green tea.

Can you spot the sugar? Yes, those 2 dried apricots contained about 7 grams of sugar, but no ADDED sugar. So I did sneak in a little sweetness. Normally I have a slice of homemade cheesecake and/or a homemade cookie in the evening with my green tea. I figured a couple of apricots was a step in the right direction. One concern is that I will substitute too much fat (in the form of nuts) for the sugar I'm giving up. Will I lose weight or gain weight on this program? I'm really not sure...

Are you up for joining me? Are you ready to confront your sweet tooth? Or would you just prefer to read about my adventures in NO ADDED SUGAR LAND?

Comments