Sugar-free Weight Loss

I've been sugar-free (no ADDED sugar, that is) for more than 3 weeks. Today is Day 23. I ditched sugar as an experiment to see if this plan would lessen my joint pain. But I also assumed I might drop a few pounds as a side benefit. 

Over the first 2 weeks, I felt very antsy in the evening. This is when I usually eat something sweet. I chomped down a couple of dried apricots, which were delicious but just not what I was craving. Then I dove into a Costco-sized bag of pistachios and didn't come up for air until my stomach said UNCLE. So I wasn't exactly shocked when I didn't lose any weight.

Recently, I ran out of pistachios. (After finishing off my third bag...) Now my evening "dessert" consists of 3 dried apricots and 3 TINY hemp cookies, which I described in my last blog. They are keto-friendly and gluten-free and sugar-free and ALMOST taste-free. Although I'm not truly satisfied after consuming this minuscule treat, I've been giving up and going to bed with my tummy still a little hungry.

And yesterday when I hopped on the scale for my weekly weigh-in, I was very surprised to see I have lost 2 pounds.

There are a few lessons here:

1) Any diet worth sticking with takes a while to start working. Don't expect instant results. 

2) Nuts are highly caloric. Yes, they're healthy and contain good fats, but consuming large amounts of nuts   does not aid in weight loss.

3) Most weight loss involves some discomfort. You don't have to starve to death to lose weight, but you probably need to feel some hunger. 

Although I didn't start this month of no added sugar in order to lose weight, dropping a couple of pounds was a very nice side effect. In addition, I have noticed that I have more energy. This morning I forgot to make my cup of black tea that I sip before we walk the dog. (I wait to have coffee until 8am.) I'm sleeping better at night. My mood is very steady and pretty darn positive.

Will I stick with no added sugar after the 30 days are up? No, probably not. I won't be this strict about it, anyway. I plan to add some sweet treats back into my life and then notice how my body reacts. Will I have more joint pain? Will I gain back the weight I lose? Will I get moody? We shall see...


Comments