Sugar Substitutes

What about sugar substitutes?

This is a tricky question. Some people feel that a little honey or maple syrup is just fine, even on a detox regimen. Others might opt for stevia, a natural sweetener that contains no sugar. Then there is erythritol, a sugar substitute which might even have some health benefits. And the list goes on: monk fruit, lucuma, sucralose, etc...

Of course, each of us will make our own choices. 

But here's some food for thought: that "sweet tooth" just might be an addiction. If eating sugary treats feels like a compulsion and gets out of control, going "cold turkey" and ditching absolutely every sweetener could be the way to go. After a month of sugar-free eating, your taste buds will be reset. An apple or a strawberry will taste plenty sweet. And you will be in the habit of skipping dessert.

For me, reducing joint pain and losing a few pounds are at the top of my list of priorities. So I will focus on eating lots of whole foods, especially veggies and fresh fruits, while decreasing refined carbs and processed foods. I have a few bars of stevia-sweetened chocolate in my pantry. Last March, I did not consume any products sweetened with stevia, but I have these on hand in case of emergency. Hopefully I won't need them!!

In order to have maximum impact on reducing cravings and fighting sugar addiction, I would recommend no sweeteners of any kind, as well as reducing naturally sweet foods like dried fruit. But I realize this might be too stringent for some people. So take this advice with a grain of salt--not sugar!--and make your own decision.

Comments