Sugar-Free March is Almost Over!



I started the month of March with high hopes. A year ago, I gave up all added sugar for a month and lost 4 pounds. The winter weight seemed to come off fairly easily once I stopped eating sweet treats. I definitely had a different experience this year.

After 3 weeks of eating no added sugar, I had lost exactly zero pounds. I was feeling confused and frustrated. Why did something that worked so well a year ago now stop working completely? I can't tell you the answer.

But I decided to step it up and cut back on ALL carbs, not just sugar. 

BOOM! Instant weight loss. After counting carbs for a less than a week, I was down 4 pounds. Yes, this is mostly water. But a low carb program always begins with losing water weight. Once the excess water is gone, the weight loss becomes mostly fat.

Since that initial drop, I have been holding steady. I feel happier at my current weight, but I'm still hoping to drop another couple of pounds. As many of you know, the closer you get to your goal weight, the more difficult it is to shed those pounds. Your body fights to hold onto every ounce!

I don't really have a plan for April. I know I'm looking forward to some type of cheat meal. So is my husband, who has been strictly keto for weeks. But I'm pretty happy with the food I'm eating on Atkins and I'm not having too much trouble sticking to it. 

So after a cheat meal involving something sweet, I will get back on this horse and ride it to the finish line. I have no clue how many miles that will be! 

Comments