Sweet Potato Scones

This past weekend we kayaked with friends and had lunch afterwards in their lovely waterfront home. I wanted to bake something to bring and I had already cooked a bunch of sweet potatoes. So I googled a recipe for sweet potato biscuits and found one on Paula Deen's website that looked simple enough. 

The first time I made the recipe, I stuck to the ingredients that were listed (for the most part) and measured carefully. (This is not my usual M.O. but I didn't want an embarrassing disaster!) I thought the biscuits were good, but a little soft and boring in terms of the texture. I thought I could improve them by adding some crunch.

The recipe I'm sharing today is my doctored version. I don't follow the directions about using a biscuit cutter because I gave away all my cutters when I moved to Florida. I really need to hit some yard sales and restock my kitchen!!

Ingredients:

  • 2 heaping tablespoons sugar 
  • 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour 
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder 
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter 
  • 3/4 cup mashed cooked sweet potatoes 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt 
  • 2-4 tablespoons (depending on the moisture of the potatoes) milk
  • Optional: 1/2 cup chopped pecans

  • Preheat oven to 450F. Line a baking sheet with Silpat or grease well. Set aside.

  • In a large mixing bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Using a pastry cutter or large fork, cut in the butter. When mixture resembles coarse crumbs, add sweet potato and bring dough together into a ball. (Add a little milk if dough is too dry.) On a floured surface, roll dough out to about 1/2 inch thickness. Cut into triangles with a sharp knife. (Or use a biscuit cutter if you are lucky enough to have one.) Bake at 450F for about 15 minutes or until lightly browned on the top and bottom. Makes about 8 small scones.


Comments

Post a Comment

Please share your helpful questions and comments here! Thanks for being part of this balanced community!