Alpine Steakhouse

This year's birthday celebration lasted almost a week, and included several birthday dinners, lunches, burgers, and desserts. We concluded the gluttony yesterday at Alpine Steakhouse in Sarasota.

One of my yoga students said this place had the best burger she had ever tasted. And then my mom told me about their Tuesday burger special: $6 for a burger at lunchtime. My birthday happened to fall on a Tuesday, so the stars aligned! We had to drive up to Sarasota anyway, to pick up my mom's dog, so we figured we'd give this joint a try.

I have to admit, I take burger recommendations with a large grain of salt. I have visited and reviewed many burger joints that friends have suggested. And almost all have been disappointing. If you ask me where to get the best burger in Venice, I will tell you I haven't found a decent burger here yet. Sarasota is a little better. Shakespeare's English Pub has a great burger, but the fries are very mediocre.

How does Alpine Steakhouse rate? Absolutely fantastic!

First off, this is not a "fancy" burger. This is not an upscale, gourmet burger. This is your basic American staple done perfectly. Cooked to order. The juiciest burger I've had in ages. So fresh. And you can get it on Tuesdays for $6 at lunch. Or $10 if you want a side. 

It was my birthday so I went for the side. I chose the parmesan truffle fries because I like to live dangerously. I am almost always disappointed by fries. I hate when they are dried out, cooked to death, basically tasteless. I want some actual potato flavor. And these fries were awesome! Coated in a generous sprinkling of freshly grated parmesan cheese, crispy on the outside, still moist in the middle.

My hubby chose the onion rings. These were super juicy on the inside, fried in a luscious batter that reminded me of the county fair. They come with a yummy dipping sauce on the side.

We couldn't possibly think of dessert after this meal, so I can't report on that. But the place is totally adorable. The decor is a combination of 50s diner meets rustic hunting lodge. The booths are lined with cowhide! There's a full service deli and butcher shop where you can purchase housemade sausages, hand-cut steaks, and their speciality: turducken!

Alpine Steakhouse is a Sarasota treasure. We will definitely be back!!


Comments