Wholesome Carrot Cookies

I found this recipe several decades ago in a cookbook for new moms. I have no idea who wrote this book. I made a copy of the recipe, filed it away in my binder, but never baked these cookies. Until today!

I know these are not your typical Christmas or Hanukkah fare. In fact, I'm baking today for the World Cup Finals on Sunday. We're watching the match at mom's and have invited a couple of friends to join us. My hubby will be baking some savory treats, while I'm in charge of the sweets. Since the match takes place in the morning, we are thinking about brunch-style fare. I will probably bake some scones as well.

I had a pound of parsnips in the fridge, so I substituted those for the carrots in these cookies. Parsnips are very similar to carrots. Also a root vegetable, parsnips are white instead of orange and possibly even sweeter than carrots. They're not as common, so don't worry if you can't find them. I got ours at Trader Joe's, but carrots will be fine or even sweet potato!

I like my sweet treats to be on the healthy side. If you prefer yours to be decadent and naughty, this recipe might not be for you. In fact, I realized halfway through mixing up the dough that these cookies are vegan! Not my typical choice, but I went with it this time. In the future, I will probably add an egg to the mixture for a binder. I believe these cookies are a little tiny bit on the crumbly side.

Ingredients:

1 cup whole wheat flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon sea salt

1 cup rolled oats

1/2 cup sunflower seeds

1/3 cup raisins

1 cup shredded carrot (or parsnip)

1/2 cup maple syrup (or brown sugar)

1/2 cup coconut oil 

1 teaspoon pumpkin spice

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Stir and set aside.

In a small bowl, beat together oil and syrup or sugar. Stir the liquid into the flour mixture and combine thoroughly. Using a wet spoon, scoop rounded teaspoonfuls onto a well greased baking sheet. Flatten dough balls slightly. Bake at 350F for about 12-15 minutes or until golden on the bottom. Cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet then transfer to a cooling rack. Let cool completely. Store in the fridge. Makes about 1-2 dozen cookies.

Comments

Post a Comment

Please share your helpful questions and comments here! Thanks for being part of this balanced community!